What precautions should I take for my child regarding a meningitis outbreak at school? Do i need to keep my child home in order to reduce her exposure?

Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Prevent meningitis

Contact your doctor. There are protocols for exposure to meningitis, depending on the type.

In brief: Prevent meningitis

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Meningitis

Meningitis is an infection that can swelling of the fluid surrounding the brain stem or brain or a serious infection than can have lont term results (such as hearing loss, vision issues).
Signs and symptoms of meningtis can be flu like with a severe headache and neck pain. Meningitis can be spread by air droplets (sneezing, coughing, kissing etc) or by direct contact with a person with meningitis. If there is an outbreak at the school your child goes to, then it is prudent for you to keep him/her at home - in fact the school should initiate closure. Also, there are types of meningitis that can be prevented with vaccine. Ask your doctor about vaccinating your child for meningitis.

In brief: Meningitis

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge