Can liposuction reverse diabetes and lower blood pressure.?

Dr. Robert True
Preventive Medicine
In brief: Weight loss is key
Liposuction per se is not a weight loss procedure.
It is well documented that adequate weight loss, when you're overweight, can result in a reversal of diabetes and can lower blood pressure. I see many of my patients who are on my HCG true diet lose 20-30 pounds of fat and significantly decrease their meds for these problems. Some don't even need the meds after the weight loss.

In brief: Weight loss is key
Dr. Robert True
Dr. Robert True
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dermatology
In brief: Liposuction diabetes
There have been cases in which diabetes was noted to be somewhat better controlled after liposuction, but for the most part, the high risk fat compartment of the body that contributes to heart problems and other health problems is situated behind the muscle wall and around the intestinal tract, a region that liposuction does not enter.

In brief: Liposuction diabetes
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
No! liposuction is not for losing weight which is the only proven way other than drug treatment to lower blood pressure and control diabetes.
Think of it as liposculpturing as most surgeons won't remove more than 5 lbs at a sitting for your safety.

In brief: No
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Not really...
Liposuction removes some fat but when done in a large scale way it can be dangerous.
Lipo is more appropriate as a contouring method. There have been limited studies of diabetics getting into better control afterward, but this is not considered standard therapy.

In brief: Not really...
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology
In brief: No
Visceral fat, which surrounds internal organs, is most associated with the problems of being overweight.
Lipo doesn't touch this. It's a cosmetic procedure. I doubt that removing the visceral fat would help either because it's probably an effect of extra fat in bloodstream and inside organs and arteries.

In brief: No
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Lipo for Diabetes
One such study did support this.
However other studies have not verified these intial findings.

In brief: Lipo for Diabetes
One such study did support this.
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: One report
Has discussed this as a particular benefit of liposuction but this has not been confirmed in subsequent studies.

In brief: One report
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
In brief: No
It has been seen to lower Insulin needs.

In brief: No
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Alan Chen
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
Diabetes and blood pressure will be unaffected by liposuction.
Diet and exercise will affect diabetes and at times blood pressure.

In brief: No
Dr. Alan Chen
Dr. Alan Chen
Dr. Timothy King
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.
It is a body contouring procedure for people of normal weight to sculpt focal areas that are difficult to eliminate fat. Therefore, liposuction will not reduce your weight and will not treat your diabetes or lower your blood pressure.

In brief: No
Dr. Timothy King
Dr. Timothy King
Dr. Arnon Rubin