How common is it for mosquitos to transmit diseases such as west nile virus? I'm considering taking a vacation in central america during the summer, and i was wondering whether getting sick while traveling is a very real possibility that I have to worry a

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: A

A person's risk of contracting west nile is very low, and less than 1% of those infected develop serious illness from the virus.
The most high risk population for developing a serious ilness from west nile virus are elderly and those who are immunosupressed. It is important for everyone to protect themselves from mosquito bites to minimize the risk of infection. Use a mosquito repellent during your trip.

In brief: A

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge