Toddler won't take medicine - help! my 2 yr old toddler was diagnosed with an ear infection a week ago. Antibiotic was prescribed but we can't get him to take it. We've held him down to try and get it in his mouth using the dropper, hoping some of it wil

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Since

Since it has been a week and your child seems better, you may want to take them back to their doctor to see if the infection is gone - if it is, then you can breathe a sigh of relief about getting medication into them for this round.
For future illnesses, it's worth talking to your child's doctor about alternative methods for giving him medication depending on what he needs. Some antibiotics come in an injectable form (such as Ceftriaxone which can treat an ear infection with 3 shots over 3 days). You'll have to discuss with your child's doctor over whether this is a possibility in their clinic. Other antibiotics are notoriously awful tasting (penicillin, clindamycin) and trying to go for the better tasting ones (amoxicillin, cefdinir) can help as long as the good tasting ones are appropriate for treatment of the illness. You can also discuss techniques for medication-taking with the nurses in you child's doctor office. Many of them are masters at getting children to take medicines and may be able to give you some tips of demonstrate techniques. Finally, you may be able to find a pharmacy that flavors medications on an individual basis and can find a flavor the child likes. Or your child's doctor may be able to prescribe a pill form that can be crushed and hidden in pudding or yogurt. Some children find this to be much less objectionable than the liquid form. Good luck! legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Since

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Disguise it

Mix the antibiotic with ice cream or yogurt.
If this is not feasible, ask your pharmacist to flavor the medication.

In brief: Disguise it

Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Shontae Buffington