Is smz-tmp 200-40/5 sus hi-t good to take for a bad cough? My daughter is 4yrs old and i need to know if i can use this as cough medicine?

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: No.

No. That medication is the antibiotic Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) and it is not used for cough.
You should never give your child any prescription medications without discussing it with your child's doctor first, unless the doctor just gave you that medicine for the child's current illness. There really aren't any safe cough medicines available for babies, toddlers or young children. The best things you can give are a spoonful of honey to "coat the throat' (as long as the child is over 1 year old!), hot tea with honey and lemon, and lots of fluids. If your child is having any difficulty breathing, develops a fever, or seems to be getting worse instead of better, call your child's doctor. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: No.

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: No

That medication is an antibiotic, and not a cough medicine.
It should not be given to anyone, especially a child, if it was not prescribed for her. Please take her to the pediatrician to make sure she gets the appropriate treatment.

In brief: No

Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology