Can two "clean" sexually active partners develop an std? If my boyfriend and I have unprotected sex, and neither of us have any stds, can we develop one by not using a condom?

Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Nope. Don't worry.

STDs are caused by germs passed from one person to another. Having sex doesn't create STDs.
If neither partner has an STD before sex occurs, neither one can get an STD. Of course if either person has had sex with someone else, he or she might bring an STD into the relationship. That can happen without knowing the STD was there. This is the only way STDs sometimes appear in monogamous couples.

In brief: Nope. Don't worry.

Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Thanks

Thanks for your question.
Yes, there are some infections that can be contracted by having unprotected sex such as a urinary tract infection, bacterial vaginosis, hepatitis c, herpes (oral to skin) and warts (skin to skin). Human papillovirus or genital warts can go undetectable for many years, but can be passed on through unprotected sex. Also, by having unprotected sex, you are at high risk for pregnancy. Talk to your health care provider abut birth control and safe sex.

In brief: Thanks

Thanks for your question.
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Philip Miller

In brief: Protection

The old adage that states that when you go to bed with someone, you are in bed with everyone they have ever had sex with is actually accurate.
If you were both previously virgins then there is no issue. Unfortunately, in many STDs, there is an asymptomatic carrier state- people can have illness without symptoms. Condoms protect both of you. I suggest condoms for 6 months PLUS monogamy.

In brief: Protection

Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. Adam Levy