Is it possible that i can get pregnant? Hi, I have had a shunt in me since i was 6 moths old. Now that I am 22 years old, the thought about being able to get pregnant has crossed my mind. The tube is connected to my bladder and it has me worried that i ca

Dr. Michael Moran
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: What kind of shunt?

Please clarify what type of shunt you have, in your heart? From your brain to the vena cava or abdominal cavity for hydrocephalus? What type of shunt goes to your bladder? None should preclude you from getting pregnant, but getting pregnant may not be wise, depending on what type of shunt it is and what it was inserted to treat.
Discuss with your doctor.

In brief: What kind of shunt?

Discuss with your doctor.
Dr. Michael Moran
Dr. Michael Moran
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Your

Your bladder is not connected to your reproductive organs (uterus).
Therefore the shunt to your bladder would not affect your ability to get pregnant. Talk to your health care provider about clarifying your ability to get pregant in regards to other health care concerns and issues. The shunt, in this case, will not prevent pregnancy.

In brief: Your

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham