Our son (3yrs) has thrown up 4 times the last hour and a half. Three of those times it was just a dry heave. He just fell asleep in his bed, but his heart is beating around 93 beats a minute. Should we be worried?

Whenever . Whenever a child has vomiting and/or diarrhea, his body is fighting an illness and is likely trying to get rid of a gastrointestinal toxin. Most likely this is a viral illness, but occasionally it can be bacterial, also. In either case, antidiarrheals can prolong the illness and antivomiting medications should not be given unless you are specifically told to do so by her doctor. The best course of action is to give his stomach a break for an hour or two (let him nap!) and then restart hydration with clear fluids - an oral rehydration fluid such as pedialyte is ideal if the child also has diarrhea. Sometimes you have to feed the fluid to the child a tablespoon once a minute because a big gulp can trigger vomiting. If he does well with this after a couple hours, you can move on to bland foods. Reasons to call your child's doctor would be: -vomiting for more than 24 hours -diarrhea for more than 7 days -bright green or bloody vomit -bloody or black diarrhea -fever -dehydration (no urination in 8 hours, dry mouth, no tears, dry or doughy skin) -severe headache or neck stiffness -change in consciousness or difficult to wake up legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.