Do violent video games cause violence?

Dr. Roy Benaroch

In brief: Controversial

That's a tough question to answer. Certainly playing violent games seems to be associated with violence, though that doesn't mean the games actually caused the violence in the real world.
I would say that in my judgement, children who are already vulnerable may be more easily influenced, and that kids who play these kids of games constantly are more likely to be affected.

In brief: Controversial

Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Kathryn Seifert
Clinical Psychology

In brief: More than 1 factor

The level of violence in all forms of media probably has desensitized all of us to violence to some degree.
For children with weak coping skills and immature values, and history of maltreatment, excessive use of violent video games is likely harmful. It takes many risk factors together to cause violence. Excessive use of violent media by vulnerable persons is an important risk factor.

In brief: More than 1 factor

Dr. Kathryn Seifert
Dr. Kathryn Seifert
Dr. Cindy Juster