If my knee has been bothering me for years and it hurts when i put weight on it and do activities do I have a torn ligament? It has been bothering me since 8th grade I am 19 now

Dr. Lauren Elson
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Many possibilities

See a sports med doc for exam. Often a personalized course of physical therapy can be helpful, regardless of the cause.
The therapist will look at your individual mechanics and make recommendations for proper alignment. There are multiple other treatments if that doesn't resolve the symptoms completely.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. Lauren Elson
Dr. Lauren Elson
Dr. Alvin Stein
Pain Management

In brief: Strong possibility

See a prolotherapist to evaluate this and if needed can resolve the problem without surgery, ligaments that are stretched do not tighten on their own.
Visit www.Getprolo.Com or www.Aaomed.Org for info and a doctor to help you.

In brief: Strong possibility

Dr. Alvin Stein
Dr. Alvin Stein
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Knee pain

Because your symptoms have been present for this long, you should see a physician.
They will be able to examine your knee and come to a diagnosis. He/she will develop a treatment plan for you as well. Best of luck!

In brief: Knee pain

Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Sports Medicine

In brief: Ligaments

Ligaments connect bone to bone and at your age you would likely remember if you tore one.
Other more probable causes would include inflammatory issues or possibly a cartilage injury. Further evaluation from an orthopedic specialist could not only help diagnose the problem, but also provide treatment recommendations.

In brief: Ligaments

Dr. Brian Chimenti
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine