How do I teach my child to get along with my pet?

Dr. Sarah Kohl
Travel Medicine
In brief: Be a role model
Children and pets seem to go together. Children learn to love and care for others while caring for pets.
You will need to demonstrate how to best interact with your pet, the specifics will vary depending upon the age of your child and type of pet. Teach your child to recognize behavior clues from your pet (play bow, wagging tail, grimace teeth etc). Always supervise very young children with pets.

In brief: Be a role model
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Sarah Kohl
In brief: By being...
..."the boss" for both.
When a clear figure of authority is absent, children try to take on that role for themselves - trying it out on the pet first. Pets rarely take kindly to that: they prefer calm, steady adult authority to pull-tail-first, ask-questions-later caprices of children.

In brief: By being...
..."the boss" for both.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Cindy Juster