At what age can I leave my child alone with my pet?

Dr. Colton Bradshaw

In brief: No uniform answer

Are we referring to a caged parakeet or a free-roaming great dane?! obviously there is no universally accepted age due to the wide variations of what are considered "pets".
Once your child thoroughly understands right and wrong, predictably demonstrating responsible behavior, and respectful of property and rules--only then would it be suitable for your child to remain alone with the family pet.

In brief: No uniform answer

Dr. Colton Bradshaw
Dr. Colton Bradshaw

In brief: Depends on pet & kid

In general, i don't like to put responsibilities on kids until they are capable of reasoning.
That comes in at 7-8yr in most. Some pets are good around kids & some are disasters waiting to happen. Pre school kids seldom understand what hurts a pet & that ignorance is a problem. Some young kids can learn to work well with a pet, some only do so with supervision.

In brief: Depends on pet & kid