Why and what age of children can't be around someone who had a small pox shot my military son got a small pox shot and when he got it they told him if he had small children they couldnt give it to him

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Back

Back in 2003, there was a question as to whether adults who lived with a child under 18 years of age could get vaccinated with the smallpox vaccine.
The reason for this question was because it is not recommended that kids under 18 receive the vaccination - especially if younger than 1 year old. There was concern that if an adult in the household was vaccinated, that they could then transmit the virus to the child causing the complications they saw with kids getting the vaccine themselves. When they actually studied this, it was found not to be true. So the official center for disease control statement is that people who live with children older than a year can be vaccinated for smallpox if they follow transmission precautions such as covering the vaccine site, wearing sleeves, and good hand washing any time they touch the site. If the adult cannot reliably follow these procedures, than many organizations will err on the side of caution and not give it. Many organizations also choose to not give the vaccine to adults who live with children younger than a year because of slightly higher complication rates in this age group, but there's no rule saying that it cannot be given. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Back

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey