I was wondering f I am at risk for ovarian cancer if my mother was diagnosed when she was 18 and m grandmother died from it? I am 20 and haven had a pap for a while and am concerned

Dr. Morton Levitt
Pathology

In brief: Ovarian Cancer

With a positive family history such as your's, you have a significant increased risk, particularly if you harbor the brca genes.
It would be wise to consult with your gynecologist, undergo a thorough exam, and test for known genetic markers.

In brief: Ovarian Cancer

Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Yes,

Yes, due to your family history you are at a higher risk for developing ovarian cancer.
It is important that you get regular pap smears and physical examinations by your health care provider. Also, remeber to observe a healthy lifestyle and take steps to reduce your risk of cancer. Talk to your health care provider about lowering your risk of cancer.

In brief: Yes,

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham