How do I sleep better at night? How can I sleep better at night? I already take sleeping pills nightly but they don't help. I have trouble falling asleep and then waking up dozens of times through out the night.

Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Not

Not sleeping well is a very frustrating condition.
You may have already tried not drinking caffeine after noon, not exercising too close to bedtime, and not using your computer or tv within an hour of bedtime. Consider adding "white noise" such as a fan. Be sure that your room is cool and not overly warm. Eating light during the day, then having a larger meal at around 7 pm or so can be helpful. If these don't work, you may want to see your doctor or even a sleep specialist to discuss your situation.

In brief: Not

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Steven Reidbord
These are excellent suggestions. In addition, it's best not to have a clock staring at you (too easy to stay awake watching it), use the bed only for sleep or sex (not other activities); make sure the room is dark without distractions. Certain prescribed or OTC meds can keep you awake too.
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dentistry

In brief: Prevention

Not being able to sleep may indicated sleep problems that can be life shortening or life threatening.
The only way to know if there are serious problems is with an overnight sleep test. I encourage you to seek help.

In brief: Prevention

Dr. Sal Aragona
Dr. Sal Aragona