Should i take my daughter to the er? My daughter has a rash on the outside of her upper arms and calves spreading very slowly. 3 or 4 new ones a night. They look like mass amounts of bug bites. They are hot to the touch. Her dr said chickenpox but shes ha

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Spreading Rash

If she looks sick or ill to you then you must take her to the doctor. You can also try the on-call doctor for the pediatrician that she sees to ask if they have any other ideas.

In brief: Spreading Rash

Dr. Holly Maes

In brief: Not to ER

This does not sound like an emergency problem, but something that does need to be evaluated by her doctor in the next couple of days.
I would not take her to an er where there are lots of germs and sick people. Go to her usual doctor in the next few days and have them look at the rash.

In brief: Not to ER

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: A

A rash with raised red bumps is called a maculopapular rash and can be caused by many, many things such as: -food or drug allergy -viral infections such as fifths disease, roseola, ebv, CMV just to name a few -insect bites such as fleas or scabies -bacterial infection such as scarlet fever (caused by strep) -medication reaction or it can be seen in very rare things such as: -measles -toxic shock syndrome -kawasaki disease -meningitis -stevens-johnson syndrome -rocky mountain spotted fever disease the list goes on and on.
The best thing to do is to call your child's doctor. They may want to take another look to see what it may be. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: A

Dr. Jonathan Jassey