What could be causing my 4 month old's hoarse voice? My 4 month old has a very hoarse voice. She has no fever, no cold symptoms and is eating and sleeping normally. Her only apparent symptom is the hoarse voice. She is also drooling buckets, but has been

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Mgt

Her drooling and hoarseness should be evaluated by pediatric pulmonology as well.
If she is have difficulty breathing, please see the Emergency Room.
A virtual appointment can be booked online to follow up, and may be useful for your child and pediatrician.

In brief: Mgt

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. David Martin
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Hoarse child

There are many causes, but i think it is reasonable to see an ent.
It is possible an endoscopy can be done, which can help diagnose the problem. There are problems, such as laryngeal papillomatosis, or wart-like growths of the voice box, that can become problematic is not found early.

In brief: Hoarse child

Dr. David Martin
Dr. David Martin
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: There

There are a many, many things that could cause hoarseness in that age group.
Common things are: -viral laryngitis such as croup. These are usually self-limiting lasting just a few days. -gerd or gastroesophageal reflux disease. All babies have reflux, but when the acid starts to cause a problem such as heartburn or hoarseness, that is a sign that the baby might need an acid blocker. -vocal nodules "screamer's nodules" or polyps are the most common cause of hoarseness in kids, but is a little less likely in a 4 month old. -foreign bodies. Kids put everything in their mouths and occasionally will swallow something that gets lodged in their larynx (voice box). Parents may notice a choking episode prior to the hoarseness and difficulty breathing afterwards. -allergic rhinitis - more common in older kids with allergies or hay fever. Uncommon things are: -vocal cord paralysis - having one vocal cord that doesn't work -laryngeal papillomas - little warts on the vocal cords -hemangiomas - a collection of blood vessels that cause a lump on the vocal cords -hypothyroidism - low thyroid hormone -laryngeal webs and cysts - anatomic problems that affect how the vocal cords work -bacterial or fungal infection - very rare in a child with a normal immune system and up-to-date immunizations. These kids look very very sick, also. It is worth calling your child's doctor to dicuss this problem with them. If this problem persists and they are unable to find the reason why, they may want to send you to a pediatric ear, nose and throat specialist for a more in-depth work-up and evaluation. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: There

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Cindy Juster