I have nose bleeds frequently, like sometimes every week.Is this something serious I should get checked out?What is the cause? Latino male, 26 years old

Dr. Brian Maloney
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Nose Bleeds

Frequent nose bleeds should be checked out by an ENT doctor. Most commonly the bleeding comes from the front of the nose and may require cauterization.
It is important to rule out other conditions, an experienced ENT doc should be able to help.

In brief: Nose Bleeds

Dr. Brian Maloney
Dr. Brian Maloney
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Epistaxis

Epistaxis or bloody noses can be caused by a variety of things and it is worth having it looked into by and ear, nose and throat doctor (otolaryngologist).
They can place a scope (small camera) into your nose and see why you are having the nose bleeds. They may even be able to stop them from happening which i'm sure would be a relief to you! in the meantime, here are a few nose bleed tips. If your nose starts to bleed, pinch the soft part of your nose below the bridge (not the bridge) to stop the bleeding. Now keep pinching for 5 minutes. Set a timer or look at a watch because it will feel like forever. And no peeking! that will stop 95% of all nosebleeds. Good luck! legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Epistaxis

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Steven Seres