I am showing early signs of schizophrenia, but am not saying that is what it is. I am scared to talk to my doctor. I am scared to talk to my doctor in fear he will lock me up in a mental institution when I do not need it. I have seen things that others ca

Dr. Robert GalatzerLevy
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Get help now

If you are right you can save yourself a great deal of grief by getting treatment before the symptoms become too severe.
Generally psychiatric hospitalization isn't needed unless someone becomes dangerous to themselves or others and except in the case of real danger your doctor cannot lock you up against your will. You have a chance to save yourself a lot of misery --- use it.

In brief: Get help now

Dr. Robert GalatzerLevy
Dr. Robert GalatzerLevy
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: It

It is great that you have made these observations about yourself.
I understand that you feel scared to tell your doctor, but now is the best time to see your doctor. The condition of schizophrenia or psychosis will only worsen if left untreated (increasing paranoia, halluicnations, inability to focus on reality, become a danger to self/others). People with schizophrenia have a chemical imbalance in the brain that is treatable with medication.If you correct this imbalance, you will notice that the paranoia, hallucinations and voices will decrease. Your doctor is there to help you. Only people who are a danger to themselves or others are recommended for admission to a psychiatric unit. There must be evidence (a crime or an intention) of danger. Your doctor will help you to live a normal life.

In brief: It

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
2 comments
This is very good advice
Dr. Judith Tellerman
Excellent summary. I would only add: I urge you to have a consultation with a Psychiatrist and Psychologist to get treatment as soon as you can. The earlier you intervene with this problem the greater the success.
Dr. Eric Weisman