With stuttering, when should I be concerned?

Dr. Alan Greene

In brief: Key signs

Watch out for prolonged sounds (mmmmay), signs of the child reacting to the stuttering (eye blinking, looking to the side, raised pitch of the voice), and repeating sounds 4 or more times (a-a-a-a-as).
For more about difference between normal speech dysfuency and stuttering that should be addressed, check my full article: http://www.Drgreene.Com/azguide/stuttering.

In brief: Key signs

Dr. Alan Greene
Dr. Alan Greene
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Prolonged disfluency

Disruption in fluency of speech, stuttering, is most often noticed in children between 2 and 3 years of age, which may persist a few months.
Referral for speech evaluation is recommended if a child has positive family history or demonstrates any of the following: prolonged stuttering over 6 months, avoiding talking, tense pauses in speech, or extrinsic facial or body movements while talking.

In brief: Prolonged disfluency

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park