How can I tell what my child's nightmares are about?

Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: You may not be able

Many kids are never able to describe what a nightmare was about and mostly its not as simple as a child saying I am afraid of this and you fix it and move on.
Most dreams and nightmares are not that simple. Provide them comfort and calm and reassure them that they are safe. My daughter felt better when i showed her our locks and alarm system and us down the hall for instance.

In brief: You may not be able

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Talk to them

If your child is waking up due to nightmares go into their room and comfort them, talk with them about the nightmare and reassure them that they are safe.
Some nightmares are actually night terrors (the child will scream in their sleep and not remember it in the morning). Comfort your child the same way through these but don't expect them to remember what they are about.

In brief: Talk to them

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Eric Weisman