My child has nightmares -- how do I help?

Dr. Laura Webb
In brief: Comfort
Childhood nightmares are common occurrences.
They are not dangerous to the child and do not predict anything about future development. However, they are scary to the child and can make bedtime difficult. During a nightmare, go in and comfort your child. If they are awake talk about it and show them it was not real. Sometimes having a nightlight in their room helps. Read stories before bed.

In brief: Comfort
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Comfort and calm
When your child has nightmares comfort them and calm them first.
Then ask them what it was about and educate them that you are always there and will keep them safe. Don't draw the time out but calm them and move on to getting back to sleep.

In brief: Comfort and calm
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Jonathan Jassey