My 5yr old has been waking up with swollen eyelids. When my son was born he had a "skin tab" on his ear and the doctors told me it might be his kidneys, he was checked and seemed ok. Now my son is 5 and he has been waking up with swollen eyelids for abou

Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology

In brief: Allergies

While skin tags are often associated with renal anomalies, your son was checked out and you report that his kidneys were fine.
Allergies are the most common cause of this symptom in his age group. Remove all dust from the room, change the sheets and pillows, vacuum the mattress itself with a beater bar attachment. Your doctor may prescribe allergy medicine or refer you to an allergist.

In brief: Allergies

Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: There

There is a slightly increased risk of kidney abnormalities in children with ear abnormalities, though recent research has shown this is not the case with isolated ear tags or pits - just with more severe or multiple ear deformities.
That being said, your doctor was very thorough (probably prompted by your history of kidney disease) and appropriately had your child checked. Testing was normal which was great. Likely what is going on now would not be related to that. Chronically swollen eyelids can be a sign of a kidney disease called nephrotic syndrome caused by damaged kidneys losing protein through the urine. There are different diseases that can cause nephrotic syndrome in kids such as: -minimal change disease -focal segmental glomerularsclerosis -membranoproliferative glomerularsclerosis -congenital nephropathy (very rare and shows up in newborns) in order to diagnose what is happenening, your child's doctor may check a urine sample, blood pressure, and may do blood testing. If these are abnormal, they may also send you to a kidney doctor (nephrologist) for a biopsy (obtaining a small piece of kidney) to be certain which disease is causing the nephrotic syndrome and how best to treat it. Since I do not know the cause of your kidney problem, i can't really say if your son's could be related. The best thing to do is to call his doctor to have him evaluated. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: There

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Shontae Buffington