At what age should my child see a dentist?

In brief: 12 months

The aap recommends that all infants see a dentist by 12 months of age.
Unfortunately, many states have a shortage of dentists who agree to see young children. Some states have legislation that permit physicians with special training to screen your baby's teeth and apply a Fluoride varnish. Check with your local dentist and pediatrician to learn what is available in your area.

In brief: 12 months

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: 1st b'day present

Take your child to a qualified pediatric dentist at age 1 for examination, to make friends, for the pedodontist to asses normal growth and development of the teeth and jaws, and to learn how to best care for your child's teeth (oral hygiene, diet, sports safety, fluorides, etc).
And by the way, see a qualified orthodontic specialist as a 7th b'day present. Enjoy your child!

In brief: 1st b'day present

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Leonard Pizzolatto
General Practice

In brief: Age 2-3 years old.

Age 2-3 years. Unless you see a specific problem.

In brief: Age 2-3 years old.

Dr. Leonard Pizzolatto
Dr. Leonard Pizzolatto
Dr. Arnold Malerman
I disagree. Although most General Dentists are not comfortable seeing children as young as 1, there are good and valid reasons (developmental, hygiene, comfort zone, etc) to see Dentist or Pedodontist for 1st ck-up @ age 1, and see Orthodontist for 1st Ortho cm-up @ age 7.
Dr. Carol Burkhart

In brief: 12 months

The aap recommends the first dental exam at age one.
It is nice to know a dentist to call in case of injury. I recognize this will not be possible for all children. If your child has very crowded teeth or the pediatrician spots areas of decay, then the first dental exam becomes more urgent. Some pediatricians have been trained in the application of flouride varnish.

In brief: 12 months

Dr. Carol Burkhart
Dr. Carol Burkhart
Dr. Jonathan Jassey