Why is my 7 month old son coughing and making a wisling sound and akting like hes gaspin for air what do I do

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Seek care

Infants with breathing difficulties should be immediately evaluated for lung and heart problems.
A whistling sound can be heard in asthma and lung infections including RSV infection. If a person is gasping for air, that is a serious sign and should be evaluated quickly.

In brief: Seek care

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Anytime

Anytime a child has difficulty breathing (respiratory distress), they need immediate medical attention.
The signs of respiratory distress are: -rapid breathing (more than 60 times a minute) -grunting or gasping with breathing -flaring of the nostrils -working hard and using extra muscles to breathe such as sucking in at the neck or under the rib cage -blue or dusky coloring -change in speech or level of alertness if your child has any of these symptoms, you need to either call 911, take them to the emergency room or call your child's doctor depending on the severity of the situation. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Anytime

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey