Is it possible to have cataract surgery and lasik for myopia during the same procedure? I would like to deal with the side effects at one time? I am a mother of two children in my 40s. I have cataracts and also severe myopia. Otherwise, I am in relatively

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Myopia

You should be able to have your myopia eliminated with cataract surgery.
Lasik will not be required in most cases.

In brief: Myopia

Dr. Alma Murphy
Ophthalmology

In brief: Cataract

Cataract surgery will remove the cloudy natural lens in your eye.
The natural lens is then replaced with a lens implant. Your eye will be measured in your ophthalmologist's office before surgery to determine what power or prescription lens implant will correct your myopia so that lasik is not needed. The link below has additional information.

In brief: Cataract

Dr. Brian Boxer Wachler
Ophthalmology

In brief: Most

Most surgeons are able to use a lens during cataract surgery to greatly reduce your myopia.
There are more advanced lenses that also help restore reading vision in combination with distance vision, these lenses are restor, crystalens, and tecnis multi-focal. Discuss with your surgeon the best lens for your daily living activities and visual needs. If you need additional enhancement to your vision after cataract surgery, lasik may be indicated. These procedures would not be performed on the same day. Typically, lasik would be considered 2-4 months after cataract surgery depending on your healing and your surgeons preference.

In brief: Most

Dr. Shontae Buffington