How deep to suction a child with a trach 9year old child with trach diagnosed with cerebral palsy

Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Gently

Pass a soft suction catheter gently until resistance is met then withdraw while applying suction.
May need to repeat several times until clear.

In brief: Gently

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Deep

Deep suctioning is defined as suctioning past the end of the tracheostomy tube.
This should only be used in an emergency when shallow suctioning does not work or if you have to use cpr. Since deep suctioning goes past the tube, it can cause tracheal irritation which can lead to bleeding and infection. Proper technique is best learned by contacting an experienced nurse or respiratory therapist to specifically teach you how to safely suction your child's tracheostomy. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Deep

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey