Is boniva (ibandronate) safe for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: No

The fda category is c which means they really don't know its safety profile.
My opinion is that you should not take it while pregnant. I would talk to the pediatrician about breastfeeding.

In brief: No

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. William Banks Hinshaw

In brief: No

Boniva (ibandronate) is a drug for which there is no approved use applicable to women of child-bearing age.
The data from your bone mineral density scan is only comparable to information obtained from post-menopausal women. While it probably cannot cross the placenta, the fetus would likely be damaged if that should happen. It also seems unlikely to appear in breast milk, but the risk is not worth taking!

In brief: No

Dr. William Banks Hinshaw
Dr. William Banks Hinshaw
Dr. Jane Van Dis