How old do kids have to be before outlets don't need to be covered?

Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: 4 or so...
However, make sure you have a talk with your kids about outlet safety, as many older kids will often be found trying to plug stuff in themselves, including things that shouldn't be like phones, etc.

In brief: 4 or so...
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: 4-5 years
I find most 4-5 year olds have enough conversational skills to understand danger & the virtue of not messing with something that could hurt them. Your explanation of the "hurt" need only be brief & mention a trip to the hospital for "burns" and tests.
Most will accept the caution if they understand burns. Some 3 year olds might but i don't feel comfortable saying they would.

In brief: 4-5 years
Dr. Cindy Juster