When can kids ride in the car facing forward?

In brief: Rear view until 2

The AAP recently adopted the 'rear view until 2' standard for carseats.
State laws may be more lax. I encourage families to strive for optimal not acceptable safety standards. Studies show the longer a child rides rearward, the better the chance of survival in a crash. In my mind, 2 years is a minimum standard, 4 would be better, although finding a rear-facing seat for older kids is a challenge.

In brief: Rear view until 2

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Anita Sinha

In brief: Age 1 year

In most states children can ride forward facing at age 1 year, however it is recommended to keep children rear facing until age 2 years for safety reasons.

In brief: Age 1 year

Dr. Anita Sinha
Dr. Anita Sinha
Forward facing at 1 year is associated with traumatic spinal cord injury (spinal cord shock or rupture) with permanent disability.This can include quadriplegia,loss of function of the arms and early death.Although some states will not ticket you for forward facing your child after a year, it has not been recommended by the NHTSA > decade.Any doc that recommends it should be sued.

In brief: When neck is ready

Forward facing car seats do not prevent a forward head snap in a crash.
That snap can elongate the spinal cord.More than 1/4 inch stretch can damage the cord producing temporary or permanent paralysis.I've cared for 1 paralized. After a decade of prodding the aap finally adopted the rear "till two standard, its 4 in europe.Look up www.Joelsjourney.Com for a video. I'd keep mine rear facing until 4.

In brief: When neck is ready

Dr. Cindy Juster