My grandson urinates the bed in his sleep. He says he does not feel the urge to go. Is this normal we have taken him to dr and ruled out any infections

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: This happens

Your grandson's pediatrician will know how to treat it.
It is not at all unusual and no need for deep concern. It does not indicate an underlying deep psychological issue. It just occurs in deep sleep when the urethral sphincter relaxes. A couple of treatments include DDAVP (desmopressin) or Imipramine in low doses.

In brief: This happens

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The medical term for bedwetting is nocturnal enuresis and it is extremely common in kids.
In fact 20% of 5 year olds wet the bed, though this number decreases as kids mature and it simply stops to 5% of 10 year olds. Only 5-10% of kids wet the bed for a medical reason, but it's always a good idea to have them checked out just in case (which you did). Children with nocturnal enuresis sleep very heavily and do not feel the urge to go. It is not their fault, so punishing or shaming for bed wetting does more harm than good. There are a few treatment options with a high success rate to consider: - waiting - almost all kids outgrow it, so most doctors recommend waiting until the child is 6 or 7 years old before looking into other treatments. - bed wetting alarms - these alarms clang loudly when they sense moisture thus conditioning the child to wake up when they have to urinate. Kids are 13 times more likely to be dry at night with the alarm. - medication - DDAVP (desmopressin) and tricyclic antidepressants have also been shown to work and can be something to discuss with your child's doctor. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Shontae Buffington