My child throws himself on the floor and pounds his fists. How should I respond?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: A new TipTap

As my collegues point out, children communicate as best they are able.
And sometimes the innate behavior is a tantrum. Hese are done to obtain a goal which includes attention.Ignoring teaches the child that this will not work. After the tantrum is over, give a hug to reinforce the " good" behavior.

In brief: A new TipTap

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Ignore behavior

Ignoring the behavior (even though i know thats really hard!) is the best thing to do.
Children often misbehave in order to get attention- good or bad attention, so don't give them any and the behavior will start to lessen. Make sure your child is safe and then ignore the tantrum.

In brief: Ignore behavior

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Ignore behavior

I agree with dr webb.
Be aware that young children do not understand peripheral vision. You can follow everything they're doing out of the corner of your eye & as long as you don't lock on eyes, they don't realize you're monitoring them. You can even approach them &move them away from a dangerous spot without them understanding what you are doing.Fits that don't pay off eventually stop.

In brief: Ignore behavior

I agree with dr webb.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: When he's calm, tell

him at his language level that when he tantrums, you will pick him up from behind without talking, making eye contact, or acting angry & place him in time-out.
Follow thru immediately. Repeat till he stays put, then set timer for 1min./yr. of age. Walk him out of t.o. the same way. Tantrums will 1st escalate in an attempt to get attention, then extinguish if you consustently ignore them till gone.

In brief: When he's calm, tell

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
You didn't state his age. Use the developmental screens & M-CHAT on firstsigns.org. Take the results to his doctor, your state's Early Intervention Program if < 3, or your local school district if 3-5 if screens indicate delays. Teach him an acceptable way to express frustration verbally & show him how you expect him to self-calm. If 5 or >, seek referral to a behavioral therapist.
Dr. Shontae Buffington