I have a 2.2mm kidney stone. Should i be able to pass this normally? I am 43, this is my 2nd time with stones...Percocet is barely taking the edge off..I am in pain about a 6 on 1-10 scale

Dr. Clifford Gevirtz
Anesthesiology

In brief: Should be able to it

That small a stone should be passable but it will still hurt terribly.
There are other meds like Flomax (tamsulosin) which will help in passing the stone along with big time hydration. You need to catch the stone in a filter and see a urologist to figure out what type of stones you are forming and what to do to prevent another episode.

In brief: Should be able to it

Dr. Clifford Gevirtz
Dr. Clifford Gevirtz
Dr. Scott Dudak
Urology

In brief: Most

Most but not all stones that size will pass.
Time to passage is variable. Hours to weeks. Regardless of size, intervention with surgery is indicated if pain is severe, nausea, vomiting or fever/ infection are present. Your urologist should monitor and guide you. Flomax (tamsulosin) or similar drugs are helpful in dilating the ureter to encourage stone passage.

In brief: Most

Dr. Scott Dudak
Dr. Scott Dudak
Dr. Vikram Patel