Is spanking okay?

Dr. Laura Webb
In brief: Not recommended
The american academy of pediatrics does not recommend spanking your child.
This can lead to unnecessary force and harm to the child. Instead use time outs and time ins. Use a time out immediately after an inappropriate behavior. The length should be equal to the child's age in years. Use time in as positive reinforcement for good behavior.

In brief: Not recommended
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: No
Teaching that physical force is the solution to problems that can be solved in other ways leads both to resentment on the part of the child, as well as fostering the impression that violence is the response to civil problems.
Use positive reinforcement combined with transient time-outs for persistent misbehavinig. If this doesn't work see a child psychologist for input.

In brief: No
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
In brief: Not recommended
I am comfortable spanking on rare occasions .
The rarity gives it a greater impact & it is often necessary in preverbal & early verbal children with no sense of fear. I will not accept: kids running out in the street; hurting others on purpose;or willfully destroying property. For these, an immediate RAP on the rear and stern discussion works for me.Othewise time out &redirection usually work fine.

In brief: Not recommended
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: As a rule, no.
The truth is, one spank is for the child, the rest are for the parent, I agree that one spank, not a spanking, may be acceptable when a child exhibits a behavior that constitutes a danger to himself or others.
Spankings teach that hitting is okay. Schools now have zero tolerance for hitting & summarily suspend any child who touches another child or an adult in an aggressive manner.

In brief: As a rule, no.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Jonathan Jassey