My 11 yr. Old grandson has a 30 pressure behind one of his eyes....It has been recommened for him to see a specialist. Is there a dr. In pensacola who treat children? Can this be a serious problem? Thanks

An . An intraocular pressure (iop) of "30"mmhg is considered high no matter what the patient's age is. There are a multitude of reasons for this elevated measurement which can vary from an inaccurate pressure measuring by the technician (which would be benign) to pediatric glaucoma (which can be serious). This should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist as soon as possible to rule out any condition. He/she may then refer you to a glaucoma specialist if necessary.
Yes, serious. A pressure of 30 is too high for anyone. Your grandson has probably already been prescribed eye drops to lower the eye pressure by whomever found the high eye pressure. He needs to receive those drops and see a glaucoma specialist asap. Consult the phone book. A board certified specialist eye md can also help. Has there not already been a referral?