I was exposed to a child who had been treated for head lice last wednesday night. I did not hug her but I am concerned. I have been checked several times since then and show no signs. How long should I have people keep checking?

Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dermatology

In brief: No problem

Head lice is only spread thru intimate contact or by sharing combs and brushes.

In brief: No problem

Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Head

Head lice is the most common cause of lice infestation.
They are transmitted by person to person contact such as sharing combs, pillows, hats, headphones, etc. - they cannot jump or fly. Since they die if not feeding on a human after 2 days, furniture and carpets are not commonly thought of a way to transfer lice. Diagnosis is made by seeing adult lice or "nits" which are little white egg sacks cemented onto the hair shaft. If you have not seen these, you do not have lice. Usually, the adult lice are transmitted alive, so if you have them, you see them from the beginning. If you do find head lice, you can treat it with over the counter treatments such as rid or nix (permethrin). You can also call your doctor for advice. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Head

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey