I just had ambilical hernia surgery and I have a large knot sticking out from my stomach that wasnt there before it looks like the end of a large egg thats sticking through my skin im freaking out its gross it hurts and i don't know if my surgen did a goo

Dr. Andres Katz
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Swelling

Swelling after umbilical hernia repair usually reflects a seroma and not a recurrence of the hernia.
If the procedure was done laparoscopically a seroma is almost always present. Seromas that last more than 2-3 weeks can be aspirated with minor side effects. In general most seromas resolve spontaneously. A swelling after an open repair indicates a small amount of blood rather than seroma and usually also resolves spontaneously.

In brief: Swelling

Dr. Andres Katz
Dr. Andres Katz
Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: A

A hernia in the abdominal wall can occur at a number of sites, the most common being the umbilicus (belly button) or in the groin.
The lump you refer to may represent a number of possibilities, some serious, others not. It also depends on the type of umbilical hernia repair that was done. In most cases, a piece of mesh is inserted to bridge the defect in an umbilical hernia. The lump may represent soft tissue swelling from surgery, a hematoma (blood collection), a seroma (fluid collection), an infection, failed hernia repair with a piece of fat or intestine that has gone through the hernia defect. The former three are usually self limiting, however the latter three are serious and may require treatment. The only way to distinguish between these possibilities is by seeing the surgeon and if needed, having tests, such as an ultrasound or ct scan to be done.

In brief: A

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery