How do I get my child to be less clingy?

In brief: Supportive/adventure
First don't project this as a reflection of bad parenting or a sign of future weakness.
Examine your past & understand your feelings may reflect how your parents treated to you for similar behavior & not understood how common & temporary this stage is.Be supportive as you explore adventures that will distract him/her from their fears.Rejection aggrivates their fear of loosing your love.

In brief: Supportive/adventure
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
In brief: Reassurance
During different stages of development, often associated with expanding the child's horizon they become more clingy.
The reassurance that the parent gives the child during that period aids the child in exploring and separating. Expressing frustration and/or anger at the child creates more insecurity.

In brief: Reassurance
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz