My child is really afraid of new people. How can I help?

Dr. Cindy Williams

In brief: Anxiety

I don't know your child's age.
Stranger anxiety is a normal landmark in babies, usually starting around 9m until 2-3yrs. We need to teach our children about strangers, next, to keep them safe. Shyness is very normal, when a child meets new people. It should only be for a short time. If they don't warm up and they stay afraid, then talk to your doctor about it. Anxiety disorders can present early.

In brief: Anxiety

I don't know your child's age.
Dr. Cindy Williams
Dr. Cindy Williams

In brief: Stranger anxiety

Your child is experiencing stranger anxiety which is a normal developmental phase.
Reassure your child that the new person will not hurt him/her but stay close so that your child feels safe.

In brief: Stranger anxiety

Dr. Pamela Middleton
Dr. Pamela Middleton
Dr. Shontae Buffington