How do I stop my child from hitting others?

Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: Firm and consistent

Be consistent! you need to respond to this immediately, every time with a consistent routine.
Make it short, to the point and simple as too much explaining the way it 'hurts others' etc will only draw more attention to an attention seeking behavior. A short, loud, firm 'no hitting' and then remove to a timeout away from your attention. Resist the urge to explain why, just remove and move on.

In brief: Firm and consistent

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Time Out

I have found that a vigorous time out generally will stop hitting by a younger accompanied by a firm no said emphatically.
But you must be firm and consistant with no exceptions for any hitting. Also it is appropriate to explain why hitting is wrong to any age child. There should never be any excuse for physical violence.

In brief: Time Out

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Jonathan Jassey