I know walking is supposed to be good for you but, my legs hurt mostly my ankles & calves. I am a diabetic, could it be meds? I have had diabetes for about 8 years, my legs began to hurt 6 yrs ago & have gotten worse. I don't have any problems with my fee

Dr. David Liu
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Depends

If the pain is more in your thighs and calves, it could be a sign of insufficient blood supply to your legs, or peripheral arterial disease.
There are easy tests for this condition. Speak to your provider.

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Liu
Dr. David Liu
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Pain

Pain in your legs could be a sign of poor circulation.
Long term diabetics are at risk for peripheral vascular disease which can affect circulation in your lower extremities. If this condition is left untreated, it is possible that not enough blood will flow to your lower extremities (for example: your toes) and you could experience slow healing wounds or risk needing to amputate some day. Another cause of poor circulation could be a blood clot in your vessel, decreasing circulation. It is crucial that you make an appointment with your doctor to investigate this pain. In the mean time, wear compression stockings to promote better blood flow, do walk and stay mobile, check your feet everyday for any blisters or wounds/keep your feet dry, and elevate your legs when laying down to promote circulation.

In brief: Pain

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Keegan Duchicela