Is Flagyl used to treat dental infections/dental abscess i was presribed penveek and flagyl, is this okay?

Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

Flagyl and pen vk is a fine antibiotic depending on the type of infection you have.
If you have concerns about the medications being prescribed, you should speak to your doctor. If you don't trust your doctor, find somebody you do.

Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. JUSTIN Aurbach
Dentistry - Endodontics

The Flagyl will nhep with the anaerobes and the peveek wiil take care of the gram positive organisms.

Dr. JUSTIN Aurbach
Dr. JUSTIN Aurbach
Dr. Joseph Kim
Dentistry

In brief: PCN yes, Flagyl no

Penicillin is a very good first line of attack against tooth infections.
Flagyl is an antibiotic medicaton used particularly for anaerobic (gram +) bacteria and protozoa. In some cases, it is used an adjunct to for patients with stomach (gut flora) issues such as crohn's disease. But rarely, is it the first choice for mouth/tooth considerations.

In brief: PCN yes, Flagyl no

Dr. Joseph Kim
Dr. Joseph Kim
2 comments
Dr. Jonathan Richards
Flagyl, combined with Pen VK is one of the most effective antibiotic combinations known in dentistry and is supported by nearly all of the dental literature. Flagyl alone is not very effective.
Dr. Joseph Kim
Thank You, Dr. Richards. I suppose I should have clarified my answer.