What does 1+ protein in urine mean? I had a blood test and my dr wants me to see an nephrologist

Proteinuria. Proteinuria is a condition, not a diagnosis. It can be caused by several diseases, among them hiv, diabetes, lupus, membranous glomerulonephritis, among others. You need to see a nephrologist to have a 24 hour urine collected to assess your kidney function and how much protein your urine has in it. The nephrologist will also take blood tests to rule out the conditions, and others, discussed above.
Proteinuria. Protein in the urine that is detected by dipstick is abnormal; it may indicate evolving disease; it needs to be quantified and understood; I agree with referral;