Do cold sores heal faster if popped? Do doctors advise popping them or leaving them alone? Just want to know if cold sores should be left alone to heal, or pop them and remove the liquid?

Leave alone. . There is one theory that if you injure a chronic sore it will become an acute lesion and heal faster. I think it just makes it irritated and painful popping the bubble(vesicles) leaks the contagious fluid which could infect your eye, open breaks in skin, or others. A better solution is to talk to dentist who can prescribe med (valtrex) which taken at first sign will lead to quick healing.
Do . Do not pop them! they heal faster and are less likely to get super-infected with a bacteria if left alone. Cold sores or fever blisters are caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (hsv-1) and are extremely common. Most people become infected as an infant or small child when kissed or by sharing eating utensils with an adult who has the virus. The virus is most contagious when someone has a cold sore, but can still be passed along by someone who does not. Many people do not even know that they are infected because the virus can "hide out" in the nerve cells for very long periods of time - for some people it hides out forever and they never get a cold sore. For others, the virus can "wake up" at any time and that's when a cold sore happens. No one knows exactly what causes a cold sore to appear - sometimes stress, illness, fevers, colds, sunlight, cold weather, menstruation, certain foods, allergies, you name it! they usually last 7-10 days and are more of an annoyance than a danger unless you have a weakened immune system or contract a bacterial infection on top of the cold sore. There is no cure for cold sores but there are a few treatments for the symptoms: -over the counter ointments with topical Lidocaine can be used for pain, but will not shorten the course -applying ice and taking Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can help with pain relief -do not pick at it or pop it since that can make it worse -antiviral medications such as valacyclovir are the only treatments known to reduce pain and shorten the course if taken as soon as you know an outbreak is coming. These are prescription medications, so you should discuss these with your doctor. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.