Could I do damage to my daughter by helping her tooth out the rest of the way? My daughter came to me this morning after eating bacon and the tooth was off to the side and there was bacon underneath it. I ;pulled it out the rest of the way. There was a li

Dr. Jack Binder
Dentistry

In brief: Be brave

Kids often remove loose teeth and so do their parents.
Sounds like this one was very loose. Make sure that the adult tooth, which should be right under the baby tooth, is already visible, or becomes visible in a few weeks. If not, seek dental care for your child.

In brief: Be brave

Dr. Jack Binder
Dr. Jack Binder
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Relax

Sounds like the root of the baby tooth (3x longer than the crown that still remains) has dissolved away.
You helped mother nature, and the permanent tooth should pop through any moment. Now that permanent teeth coming in, time for your daughter to have her 1st orthodontic check-up.

In brief: Relax

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: When

When it comes to teeth pulling, it's best to let the kids do it themselves.
Have the child wiggle it back and forth with clean fingers or their tongue until it comes out - if it's really loose, it won't hurt and there will be minimal bleeding. If there is a significant amount of bleeding, you can hold pressure with a wet gauze to the gum for a few moments to stop the bleeding. My concern about an adult pulling a child's tooth is that the adult doesn't know how attached the tooth is or how much it hurts. However, it sounds as though your child's tooth was ready. By the way, a swallowed tooth is not harmful, just a little disappointing to the tooth fairy. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: When

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Eric Weisman