What might cause my gums and throat to swell....Allergic reaction? Is there a danger that my throat could swell shut and cut off my oxygen supply, it is pretty swollen now.

Dr. Clifford Marks
Dentistry

In brief: You are correct!

An allergic reaction causing this type of swelling is an emergency.
You need to go to er immediately as this could turn into a life threatening situation.

In brief: You are correct!

Dr. Clifford Marks
Dr. Clifford Marks

Please go to the er asap to be treated.
This can become life threatening very, very quckly. All the best..

Please go to the er asap to be treated.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Yes,

Yes, there is a danger that your throat could swell, causing cut off of your air supply.
It is recommended that you go the emergency room if your throat is continuing to swell. Also, if you have Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and are not allergic to it, take a dose as this is a safe otc remedy to an allergic reaction. It will be important to indicate what caused the swelling in your mouth and throat. Trace the foods and drinks that you ingested. Avoid this product and related product in the future and have your doctor update your allergy list to include this.

In brief: Yes,

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine