Can i choose between alloplastic chin implants or sliding genioplasty for my surgery? I do not understand the pros and cons of these two different options, or whether there are limitations or restrictions for certain patients. Are implants safer than the

Dr. Majid Jamali
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Genioplasty

Sliding Genioplasty is more natural.
http://www.omsofny.com/oral-surgery-procedures/sliding-genioplasty.html

In brief: Genioplasty

Sliding Genioplasty is more natural.
Dr. Majid Jamali
Dr. Majid Jamali
Dr. Kenneth Sanders
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Chin

Chin augmentation can be a very rewarding procedure for both the patient and the surgeon.
The most common method by far is an alloplastic implant. These can be made of solid silicone, porous polyethylene, eptfe, with silicone being the most common. Silicone chin augmentation is a relatively minor procedure that can be done under local, iv, or general anesthesia. Limitations are few but might include the amount of augmentation is usually a maximum of about 10-12 mm. One "pro" would be the ability to change the size of the implant if needed or to even reverse the procedure completely. Risks include implant mobility, infection, numbness, bone resorption, and malposition--all are rare if placed by a well trained surgeon. Recovery time is 1 week or less. Sliding genioplasty is a much more significant surgical procedure and is only performed under general anesthesia. It is usually thought of as irreversible but theoretically it could be done. There is a longer recovery--usually at least 2 weeks. It is much more painful since the bone is being cut and slid forward. Risks include infection, malposition, numbness and implant (screw/plate) mobility. In my opinion and my recommendation to almost all of my patients is the alloplastic implant. Good luck!

In brief: Chin

Dr. Kenneth Sanders
Dr. Kenneth Sanders
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Augmentation

Augmentation of the chin can be performed with implants or by genioplasty.
Genioplasty involves moving the bone of part of the chin, usually in a forward and sometimes downward direction to change the profile or vertical height of the chin. Implants can improve the profile of the chin and are usually made of silicone or porous polyethylene. They have the same risks as other alloplastic implants as they are foreign material. Silicone implants can cause erosion of the bone onto which they are placed and they can move from the site of original placement. Porous polyethylene implants have ingrowth of tissue from the patient and are generally quite stable, but they may be difficult to remove if this becomes necessary. In general, implants can only be expected to add 10 mm or less of projection to the chin before they begin to appear abnormal. If more advancement or lengthening (or shortening) of the vertical height is needed, a genioplasty is more appropriate, but is a more involved procedure.

In brief: Augmentation

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Vicken Poochikian