Would my scar revision be done under local or general anesthesia? Is scar revision done under general anesthesia? I have a scar on my cheek from a motorcycle crash a few years ago. It is a dark scar and is very noticeable. I have been thinking about havin

Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: Personal Preference

The surgery you are describing does not really need a general anesthetic.
This can easily be done with local anesthesia and sedation. Talk to your plastic surgeon and your anesthesiologist to choose the type of anesthesia that is best for you.

In brief: Personal Preference

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Kenneth Stein
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Scar revision

Most likely, depending upon the size of the scar, the revision could be done under local anesthesia.
If you have a very low tolerance to pain then it could be done under general anesthesia.

In brief: Scar revision

Dr. Kenneth Stein
Dr. Kenneth Stein

In brief: Being

Being concerned about the risk of anesthesia is understandable.
Local vs general anesthesia bring similar risks, because of the nature of your surgery. If you are concerned about not being conscious, then local anesthesia is your best bet. The risks are as follows : toxic levels of local anesthetic used by the surgeon if the scar is big or deep. Also, discomfort if enough local anesthetic wasn't infused into the operative field. Discomfort with breathing if the surgeon requires your head/face to be draped in a sterile field. General anesthesia ameliorates these concerns, because your airway/breathing is protected by the anesthesiologist; there is no pain and the risk of toxic local anesthesia is negated by low volume used, only at the end of your procedure. Local with sedation is not recommended, because of the risk of the surgeons need to have a sterile face/head. This sterile draping, coupled with sedation, puts you at risk of airway problems or moving during the surgery.

In brief: Being

Dr. Gary-Anthony Lawson-Boucher
Dr. Gary-Anthony Lawson-Boucher
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery