Differences between strep throat and regular sore throat? How can you tell? I don’t like to run to the doctor for every little thing, and i’ve never gone just for a sore throat. But my daughter recently had strep throat, and now i’m wondering how i would

Dr. Ingeborg Dziedzic
Ophthalmology

In brief: Test

If you suspect you got strep throat from your daughter you need to be treated, so see a physician for test and rx.
Generally, without strep exposure, try zinc lozenges for 24 hrs and most viral sore throats will improve.

In brief: Test

Dr. Ingeborg Dziedzic
Dr. Ingeborg Dziedzic
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: A

A sore throat can be caused by infection (bacterial or virus) or also commonly caused by allergies.
Allergies cause something called post nasal drip. Mucous from your nose created by allergies runs from your nose down into your throat and causes irritation or pain. This is usually improved with anti-histamines or benadryl (diphenhydramine). The fact that your daughter has recently had strep throat leads me to believe you are at high risk. Your doctor can perform a simple test in the office, called a rapid strep test, you will know within a matter of minutes if you have strep throat or not. Aprropriate treatment can then be initiated. Running to your doctor for a sore throat is not a "little thing". Strep throat, if left untreated can cause multiple complications, so treatment is paramount.

In brief: A

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Jonathan Jassey