Will a colorblind woman always have colorblind children? I know the cause is a mutation on the x-chromosome and a woman has to have the mutation on both her x’s. So that means all her children will have the colorblind gene. So will her children all be col

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Her

Her male children will be colorblind because all of her male children will have one of her x's with the colorblindness gene and a y from the dad that cannot cancel out the colorblindness gene on her x.
If she has children with a man who is not colorblind than her daughters will carry the gene, but not be colorblind themselves since they'll have a normal x from their dad to cancel out their mom's x with the colorblindness gene. If she has children with a man who is colorblind, then her daughters will be colorblind also. This is why colorblindness is much more common in men than in women. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Her

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Colorblind children

If a woman who is colorblind has 2 affected x chromosomes.
If she has children with a man who is not color blind she has 2/4 chances of having a boy who is colorblind, since his only x chromosomes carry the gene. There are 2/4 chances of having a girl who does not have color blindness since each child will inherit only 1/2 affected chromosomes. This hold true for each pregnancy.

In brief: Colorblind children

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Jonathan Jassey